Monday, June 27, 2011

AK/AH: Summer League


Asskicker of the Week:  The State of New York, which passed a law allowing same-sex marriage, becoming the largest state to do so.  Impressively, they managed it in a Republican-controlled Assembly, 33-29, with 4 Republican votes, including Roy McDonald, who summed up his feelings politely here and much more awesomely as quoted in the New York Daily News, which I really hope is the version committed to future history textbooks:
You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing.  You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.  I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.
(I personally like to think he then stood up, walked dramatically across the room, and slid his name over to the "Yea" side of the board, but I don't think they use those anymore.)

So kudos to those guys who switched sides and are taking a big political hit for this, and kudos to those whose support was never in doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment